Friday, March 9, 2012

Flashback Friday: think spring ... cakes!

I’m in complete denial, but it has officially been one year since I did my last cake.  Are you serious?  Life got so hectic and I had piled waaaaaay too much on my plate, so I went into “retirement” promising to pick it back up one day. 

Truth is: I miss it.  A lot.  It was such a creative outlet for me, and suited me better than any other outlet I’ve found.  But at the same time, I’m not ready to pick it back up yet.  Unless you are a fellow caker, you really have no idea how much time goes into each cake.  Not just planning and prepping, but baking, frosting, décor, delivery, and clean up.  …which often takes as much time as everything else.  When I did cakes full time (and by full time I mean, I had a full time real job and I was still cranking out three custom cakes a week – that was a ton of work for me) my house stayed a disaster.  I would get it cleaned from one cake just in time to start the next.  It was a never ending, VERY VERY exhausting cycle.

Sometimes I get the itch again and I’ll reminisce back through my old pictures of cakes.  Sometimes I view them and think “wow I can’t believe I did that.”  Most of the time I look back and think “wow, I wish I could do this one again – it would turn out a lot better.”

So in the hopes for spring (doesn’t it feel woooonderful outside??)  I thought this flashback Friday could be all about spring time cakes!  Granted, I’ll only show you a few.  And do keep in mind that they span from one of my very first cakes to one of my last cakes.  You’ll see what I mean if you try to critique them.  ;)

Think spring!

After a long, hard winter that year, that’s all we wanted to do – think spring!!


This year, we barely saw any snow.  But it’s still exciting to see the first signs of beautiful flowers.





If any of you are Texans out there, how about a few bluebonnets?



Last one for today:



Thanks for looking.  Enjoy this gorgeous weekend!!


1 comment:

  1. What tip did you use to create the bluebonnets. I'm wanting to make them on a cupcake.

    ReplyDelete